Let the Baking Season Begin!
Look, we realize it is a bit early to start baking cookies for the holidays, but practice makes perfect, right? Also, Gingerbread cookies actually taste better when they've had time to develop flavor - at least that's our excuse.
Oh - and no molasses needed - which means that you may actually have all the ingredients sitting in your pantry right now! Time to roll up the sleeves...
GINGERBREAD MEN COOKIES WITHOUT MOLASSES
What you'll need:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2 1/2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
Time to get to work:
- Whisk together the first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with the brown sugar until fluffy. Add egg and honey. Beat well. Gradually add the reserved flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Scrape the dough onto plastic wrap, shape into a ball and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours. You an make this dough as much as a week ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To roll out the dough, place it on flower-sprinkled parchment paper, and top it with plastic wrap. You essentially want to sandwich the dough between parchment paper and plastic wrap to roll it out (it will help prevent the dough from getting stuck on the rolling pin). Roll it out to a 1/8 inch thickness. Pull off the plastic wrap and cut out your gingerbread men.
- Instead of removing the cookies, remove the excess dough. The cookies themselves are quite fragile. If it is difficult to remove the excess dough because it has become too soft, stick the baking sheet in the freezer for a few minutes. Once the dough has become more solid again, it is much easier to remove.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet and let set 5 minutes before removing cookies to a cooling rack.
- Decorate cookies & enjoy!