Healthy Treats for Fall
Is Thanksgiving really only a couple of weeks away??
With shorter days and the winter fruits and veggies appearing at the farmer’s markets we have found ourselves in the kitchen a bit more than usually and have discovered some tasty seasonal snacks that we wanted to share with you.
Don’t worry – they are super easy to make and kiddo-approved!
Nut butter-Persimmon Toast with Sea Salt
- Toast your favorite whole grain bread - we love the super nutty ones.
- Spread your favorite nut butter on the toast (we used almond-hazelnut butter).
- Add a drop of honey if you prefer a sweeter snack (optional).
- Add sweet Fuyu persimmon slices.
- Top with some sea salt.
Warning: This is addictive and your kids will ask for more!
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit (110 degrees Celsius).
- Slice apples into thin slices. A mandolin works best for this.
- Arrange apples on a metal baking sheet.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon on the apple slices.
- Bake until apples are dried and edges curl up - 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Put them into a Kinderville® Snack Pouch for the kids to take to school.
Cinnamon-Apple Steel Cut Oatmeal (great to make ahead of time)
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil
- Stir in 1 cup of steel cut oats and 1 cup of peeled and chopped Granny Smith apples.
- When the oatmeal begins to thicken (about 5 minutes) reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take off the heat, and stir in cinnamon and desired amount of honey.
- Top with your favorite toppings like nuts or raisins and don’t forget some cute cut-outs of fresh apple.
What are your favorite fall snacks? Let us know if you tried any of the above recipes in the comments!
~ The Kinderville Team